Re: Clean way of setting usepeerdns in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Nicolas Turro wrote:

> well, it doesn't seem to be the case :
> /etc/resolv.conf is generated by the script /sbin/dhclient-script
>
> function make_resolv_conf() {
>   if [ -n "$new_domain_name" ] || [ -n "$new_domain_name_servers" ]; then
>     echo '; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script' > /etc/resolv.conf
>     if [ -n "$new_domain_name" ]; then
>         echo search $new_domain_name >> /etc/resolv.conf
>     fi
>     for nameserver in $new_domain_name_servers; do
>       echo nameserver $nameserver >>/etc/resolv.conf
>     done
>   fi
> }
>
> and this function is called only if PEERDNS is set :
>
>   if [ "${PEERDNS}" != "no" ]; then
>     make_resolv_conf
>   fi
>
> so i HAVE to set this variable either in /etc/sysconfig/network or
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

This leads me to the inevitable question of:

Have you actually tried it yet?

I mean, just because the script lists a check for the variable doesn't
mean that the variable doesn't have a default value before the script is
called.  The dhclient application is a binary, and it is quite possible
that it sets certain default environment variables at the time it's
called, and then checks to see if there are override values.

The default value for "PEERDNS" is "yes".  If the variable isn't listed,
dhclient assumes it to be "yes".  This has been the behavior since, at
least RH7.x, if not earlier, and I just confirmed that it works the same
way on my Shrike system.

Incidentally, take a look in the /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices
directory.  There should also be "ifcfg-ethx" files there...if the changes
you make to the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethx files don't seem
to be working, you might try making them in the
/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-ethx files, instead.  That's where
I needed to actually add the "PEERDNS=no" option, on my Shrike box, to get
it to not use my DHCP server's values.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit
message to:

site-update-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

with a message of:

subscribe