Re: GNOME on two monitors

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 22:40, Igor NestoroviÄ wrote:
> Hello hats,
>
> I just got an extra monitor on my work and decided to try running GNOME
> 2.2 on both of them.
>
> I know that I have to set up Xinerama in order to do that.

You don't actually, you just have to tell X to put something on both
displays.  Xinerama is for spreading one window across to screens, for
example.  Without Xinerama (like I am doing now) you have two
'independant' screens, both capable of having their own workspaces,
screensavers, etc.  You can't drag windows from one to the other, but
the mouse moves across when at the edge you specify.

> Can someone please explain me what needs to be done, please?

Copy the "Monitor", "Device" and "Screen" sections from
/etc/X11/XF86Config, and change the values to that of your new monitor.
You should now have two of each of these sections.  Name the second
sections differently to the first for each of these, eg.

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Screen0"
Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Screen1"

and then in ServerLayout put
   Screen         0  "Screen0" 0 0   # already exists
   Screen         1  "Screen1" leftOf "Screen0"

then restart X.  You may need to familiarise yourself with editing files
without using X, just incase something goes wrong!  If so have a look at
the logs, and keep trying.

There is another option if you have an nvidia card with two outputs.  It
does a Xinerama-like display, but without letting X even know you have
two monitors.

> Thank you.

Anytime :)
--
Iain Buchanan <iain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

That's the thing about people who think they hate computers.  What they
really hate is lousy programmers.
- Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle in "Oath of Fealty"