Re: Off-topic: 3ware mirror rebuild time

On 2 Nov 2003, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> MB> Thanks...my first time around with these guys, and it's on a 5400
> MB> card.
>
> I'm amazed that you could even find a card that old.  With an old
> 6000-series card it's better to use it as a rather nice multi-port IDE
> controller and run software RAID on it.  I can't imagine that the
> 5000-series cards could possibly be any better, and it's probably
> going to be slower than a modern plain old IDE controller.

I can't imagine that, really.  IDE controllers haven't come very far in
the last 4 years (ATA-100 was already available at that point, if I
recall).

That notwithstanding, I was looking for an inexpensive RAID card, and I
won this guy on eBay for less than $30 (+ shipping).  How could I go
wrong? <G>

> As for the rebuild time, my cards give me progress info via the 3DM
> web or CLI interfaces.  I don't know if the last BIOS release for the
> 5000-series supports that info, but you could try.

The 3DM app didn't give me any sort of time estimate...I can see if
there's a more recent version.
--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit
message to:

site-update-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

with a message of:

subscribe