Re: nvidia drivers, /etc/security/console

Nicolas Turro wrote:

On Thursday 30 October 2003 13:22, John Haxby wrote:

Nicolas Turro wrote:

i use a RedHat 9 box with an Nvidia graphic board and i am using
Nvidia's driver to obtain graphic 3d acceleration.
Currently VTK/opengl complains about permissions on /dev/nvidiactl

I would imagine that you have a problem with a solution different to
that described in the NVidia docs. On my machine, ls -l /dev/nvidia*
gives

no, no, the nvidia solution works like a charm (removing dri lines
in the /etc/security/console.perms), but 1- i wonder why Redhat put those lines in /etc/security/console.perms
in the first place
2- does Redhat has any other recommendation to solve the issue ?

I think we're at cross purposes. The stuff in /etc/security/console.perms works just fine -- normally. I get the ownership of the /dev/nvidia* files correctly set when I log in using gdm. There isn't normally a problem and you don't have to change anything when you install the NVidia drivers.

Hmmm. Are you logging in with gdm or do you log into the console and run startx? I always use gdm to log in and I've never had a problem. I notice that the <dri> lines in /etc/security/console.perms refer to <xconsole> ...

jch