Re: nvidia drivers, /etc/security/console

Nicolas Turro wrote:

i use a RedHat 9 box with an Nvidia graphic board and i am using Nvidia's driver to obtain graphic 3d acceleration.
Currently VTK/opengl complains about permissions on /dev/nvidiactl

I would imagine that you have a problem with a solution different to that described in the NVidia docs. On my machine, ls -l /dev/nvidia* gives

crw-------    1 jch      root     195,   0 Oct 29 13:01 /dev/nvidia0
crw-------    1 jch      root     195,   1 Oct 29 13:01 /dev/nvidia1
crw-------    1 jch      root     195,   2 Oct 29 13:01 /dev/nvidia2
crw-------    1 jch      root     195,   3 Oct 29 13:01 /dev/nvidia3
crw-------    1 jch      root     195,   4 Oct 29 13:01 /dev/nvidia4
crw-------    1 jch      root     195,   5 Oct 29 13:01 /dev/nvidia5
crw-------    1 jch      root     195,   6 Oct 29 13:01 /dev/nvidia6
crw-------    1 jch      root     195,   7 Oct 29 13:01 /dev/nvidia7
crw-------    1 jch      root     195, 255 Oct 29 13:01 /dev/nvidiactl

Which is what I would expect. If I look in /etc/security/console.perms I see

   <dri>=/dev/nvidia* /dev/3dfx*
and
   <xconsole> 0600 <dri>      0600 root

It's hard to guess what has gone wrong, but I expect that something has :-) Do you have two X servers on different virtual consoles? That can probably cause problems. Has your /etc/security/console.perms files got corrupted? I've had problems when logged into a virtual terminal as one user and then logging into X as another: that shouldn't apply in this case, but it's somethng to look into.

I'm certainly not going to flame you for using the NVidia drivers -- most of my machines have NVidia cards of one sort or another and I run the NVidia drivers in all of them. Admitedly, mostly for the sake of the snazzy OpenGL screensavers :-)

jch