Re: Logging from Panasonic phone systems (was: Re: Telneting To COM port?)

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> At 13:10 10/23/2003, you wrote:
> >Sorry for the late post, but I wanted let people know that for doing the
> >above there is a nifty utility called ttywatch for attaching a process to
> >a com port and monitoring it.  You can even telnet to the tcp port it
> >assigns and you have a interactive terminal session like minicom or
> >kermit.  I use this to record SMDR from my Panasonic phone system as well
> >as the voice mail system.  Needs to be on a trusted lan though, no
> >security to speak of.  ttywatch was written by one of the Red Hat
> >developers, Michael Johnson.  Find the link to it at freshmeat.net.
>
> Keith,
>
> I have a KX-TA308 phone system, a rather nice 3-line, 8-extension
> expandable thing. It sits right next to my home firewall on RHL-9, and I've
> been wanting to log data from the phone system for years. Can you go into a
> little detail about what data you're getting, and how?

Snicker.  Mine is old compared to yours, a KX-T123211D.  But surprisingly
it integrates to some degree with the TVS-50.  All that is recorded is
SMDR, mainly phone calls in and out of the system.  Sadly the KSU does not
support Caller ID.  I monitor the TVS also and have it sending daily
reports on usage.

Simply,  DB-25 from the KSU to DB-9 on the linux host.  ttywatch is
configured to monitor the com port and it logs to a file in
/var/log/ttywatch.  I can telnet to the host on port 3000 and see real
time what the KSU is spitting out.   Likewise I can telnet to port 3001
(second comm port) and manage the TVS without interrupting the recording
session.