Re: Add wireless adapter

On Sun, 2003-10-26 at 00:21, Glenn Williams wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 21:16, Glenn Williams wrote:
> > >  http://acx100.sourceforge.net/qwiki/index.php?page=basic_install
> >
> > If it helps I got the DWL-520+ working although mine was the PCI
> version
[snip]
> > of it using the drivers from the above site itself.
> > version of the driver where in I could use the following files from
> the
> > Windows driver and pass it the dir containing these as a parameter to
> > the Linux kernel module.
> >
> > RADIO0d.BIN  RADIO11.BIN  WLANGEN.BIN
> >

> > Since then it has been working sweetly.
> >
> Thanks for responding.  My card is the PCI version, as well.  It sure is
> good to hear that it will definitely work.
>
> Would you mind furnishing a few more details about how you got the
> drivers installed?  You mentioned passing a directory containing files
> from a Windows driver to a Linux kernel module.

Hi,

People first off my apologies for the length of this mail but had to go
for the detailed version to give a better idea as to how to go about it.

<Quoting from the README in the acx100 driver>

Next, a firmware is needed. We cannot ship this with our driver, so you
will have to get it elsewhere. There are two option: you have a windows
driver installed or have a zip file with all the necesary windows files
in it (for example D-Link installer), or you have a binary linux driver.
The firmware used by windows driver consists of several files normally
named WLANGEN.BIN, RADIO0d.BIN and RADIO11.BIN which can be found in
windows/system32, or in the install archive. Place these files in the
firmware directory, and you are ready to roll.
Another option is a binary Linux driver. Several drivers are available
on the internet, and they all seem to work. But the firmware is embedded
in the binary driver, and so needs to be extracted. Place the driver in
the firmware directory and make sure it is called acx100_pci.o. Then
run 'make extract_firmware', and you are set. Make sure that no radio
modules (RADIO*.BIN) files are placed in the firmware directory when
using a linux firmware, otherwise the driver will attempt to load and
initialise the radio module for your card again, with unpredictable
results.
The linux driver already has the radio module embedded in the firmware.
The firmware version this Linux driver contains is 1.5.0, as printed
during our driver initialisation.

The DWL-650+ and 520+ and Planet cards use a Maxim radio instead of the
usual RFMD, so these cards will not work with the linux driver firmware
and so the windows firmware must be used.

</Quoting from the README in the acx100 driver>

>From the above it is very clear what needs to be done. Specifically read
the last paragraph... Based on this I assumed that I need to go for the
new way of doing things since my card was a pretty recent version at
that time which is about 2 months back when I configured it.

It is nothing to be scared off. All you gotta do is find a Windows PC
attach the card there temporarily and install the driver then copy the
files mentioned over to the linux PC and put it in a directory called
"firmware" or anything you want. If you do not have a Windows PC you can
try extracting the required files from the driver CD but not too sure
how to do this.Then all you gotta do is pass the firmware dir to the
module while inserting it like so

# insmod ../src/acx100_pci.o firmware_dir=../firmware

Above line has been copied from the "start_net" script provided along
with the driver.

If the parameter name has changed you can check what all parameters the
module will accept using the "modinfo" command.

I took the driver from the CVS. Haven't checked it out lately maybe now
the stable version itself has this method and is working fine. Did not
mess around with it after that since it is working fine.

--
Arindam Dey

The mind is not a vessel to be filled
but a fire to be kindled.

GPG FPR: B8E3 219E F129 F970 F4A7  BC50 9636 504A BEDF 5739