Re: Suggestions for a good graphics card for RH9/Fedora?

On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 00:13, Globe Trotter wrote:
> --- John Haxby <jch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Globe Trotter wrote:
> >
> > > Can I get a suggestion for a good graphics card which will work on
> > > RH9/Fedora?
[snip]
> Thanks! I do have dual input and would like to use the DVI. Any suggestion with
> regard to the card memory? 128Mb or should I go all the way upto 256? Anything
> else I should consider?

If you want to do movie creation, rendering and other high end stuff,
you'll probably find 256Mb worthwhile.  I noticed when I bought mine
that the difference between 128Mb and 256Mb versions of the same card
wasn't all that much.

I suggest you look for a site that does comparisons between cards.
Something like http://www.dansdata.com/cardchoice.htm should be a good
start.  It has loots of links to explanations of features.  I also like
http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030311/geforcefx-5600-5200-03.html for lots of comparisons in speed and performance.

You also need to consider what extra features you might like: video
in/out, directX 9, Full Screen Anti Aliasing, etc.

It appears the two leaders (when I last looked) are the Radeon 9800 Pro
or GeForce FX 5900.  Although I don't know about Radeon support in
linux, nvidia support seems to be quite high.

HTH
--
Iain Buchanan <iain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

You have all eternity to be cautious in when you're dead.
		-- Lois Platford