Re: Detach running program from terminal

On Thursday, Oct 23rd 2003 at 10:26 +0100, quoth John Haxby:

=>Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
=>
=>> At 20:38 10/22/2003, you wrote:
=>>
=>>> I ma talking about a GUI program, like if I launch synaptic from the
=>>> terminal, but want to detach it. screen is useful if i want something to
=>>> run in the background.
=>>
=>>
=>> I don't think there is a general solution to that. In synaptic's case =>> specifically, you can use the command-line equivalent apt-get. But for =>> other programs generally, all I can think of is to run them inside a =>> VNC session. Not much else comes to mind. =>
=>Do you want the display to be detached as well? If not then you might =>find the attached program (no pun intended) useful. It's a bit like =>nohup, but it completely detaches the program from the invoking =>terminal. For example, "detach synaptic". It's only small -- I hope =>it doesn't invoke the wrath of the list manager.
=>
=>jch
=>
=>
Also, take a look at daemon(3) in the man pages. I think it does exactly what your code acomplishes.

--
-Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have -
-happened but none stranger than this. Does your driver's license say Organ
steveo at syslang.net