Re: Apache vs M$ Web Server Benchmarks

At 22:06 10/22/2003, you wrote:
Hey.. Does anyone know where I can find some whitepaper on Apache vs M$ or
any other webserver software. I've got some M$ ppl that tell me they can get
Apache (I think it's apache, since they said 'linux Web server software') to
crash after 5 days of Heavy Load.

I would like to prove them wrong.

It is almost impossible to take a random assertion and prove it wrong. Take the opposite road instead: force them to create a specific, repeatable, real demonstration on a real system that exhibits this behavior. If they cannot reliably reproduce the same behavior time after time, then in effect they have failed to prove their case... that is, they have proven themselves wrong.

And make sure that this "test" is with recent-version software, properly patched, etc. so the test is not rigged to fail. If they try something like that, offer to see how long an NT, 2K, XP, or 2K3 system lasts on the Internet before being hacked or shredded with open and unpatched IIS services!

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx