Re: HTTP Download question.

On 18:21 22 Oct 2003, Andre Cameron <acameron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| I was just wondering, when in a https session

There's no "session". Keep that in mind.

| and you click on a file
| link does the download get encrypted or not?
|
| i.e. https://www.yoursite.com = secure
| http file downoad of https://www.yoursite.com/file1.exe which prompts
| for download to local hard drive.  secure or not?

Secure. (Well, private. You still have to have complete trust in the source
host if you're going to run that .exe!)

The enclosing page has nothing to do with the protocol. Only the link
itself, and your link says "https:", so https (HTTP over an SSL "secure
socket layer" connection) will be used for the data transfer.

Conversely, this also means that if you're at an "https:" page and there's
a link in there, the link need not be https. So pay close attention to it.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

A: Top posters.
Q: What's the most annoying thing about email these days?
- Jonathan Perkin <sketch@xxxxxxxxxxxx>