Howto: Quicker web browsing, slower FTP traffic?

Hi!

I don't know whether this is the right place to ask, but kindly point me to an FM that I can R if it isn't. Cross-posted to redhat-list and shrike-list.

My wife is creating lots of Kazaa traffic, and I am using rsync to create a full mirror of Red Hat's FTP site, Aurora Linux FTP site, the LDP site, and some other stuff. Clearly, when one is moving well over 100GB over a 128 Kbps link, this is going to take a long time... but that's OK, we're in no hurry.

However, of course since the link is saturated then email downloads and web browsing become dog-slow and frustrating. I could even live with mail being really slow, but the HTTP traffic I really wish could be given some sort of "high priority" so that I don't have to shut down the rsync transfer temporarily when we're really using the Net at home.

So really, happiness right now is just priority service for HTTP traffic. Go to the head of the line, and all that, since everything else can take an extra week to download without causing us any inconvenience.

I have heard some terms thrown around, but have no knowledge yet. Is this possible (I assume it is)? Is what I want traffic shaping, or quality of service, or TCP flags... what is it? And, of course, is there something somewhere that will tell me how to make it work?

Thanks for any pointers,

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx