Re: network config problem

On Sat, 2003-10-18 at 06:26, Brian Scudder wrote:
> Thanks for responding Iain,
> Yes, there were problems with the up2date. I updated everything,
> about 60 some RPMS - took forever to download. The Perl RPM
> downloaded with a checksum error. Up2date asked if I wanted to
> continue - Yes,

aaaargh! The checksum is there to _stop_ you doing things like this!  I
think they should have put a notice saying 'the package is probably
corrupt, redownload' but oh well, live and learn!

>  everything else downloaded successfully. During
> the automated install, it failed on the bad Perl RPM. It continued
> to do things for awhile then said it failed.

Well, you need to reinstall the perl rpm.

> I don't know what happened or where to look for status of the up2date.

don't worry about a log.  Find the rpm that failed (one of these?)

> perl-5.8.0-88.3.i386.rpm
> perl-CGI-2.81-88.3.i386.rpm
> perl-CPAN-1.61-88.3.i386.rpm
> perl-DB_File-1.804-88.3.i386.rpm

and try redownloading it.  If you don't want it to take too long, you
can use `wget -c` which will 'continue' if the rpm is only partially
downloaded, but that only works on file size so if the rpm is corrupt,
wget wont notice.

Try `rpm -ivh --force <failed-rpm>`.  If this fails again (rpm is
corrupt) then you need to find an rsync mirror, and rsync it.  rsync
will work even if the file is corrupt.  I don't know of any rsync
mirrors in particular, but they do exist.

Try `rpm -ivh --force <failed-rpm>` again, and it should work this time.

HTH!
--
Iain Buchanan <iain@xxxxxxxxxxxx>