Re: WiFi + web based Login + Sniffer + Security

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, John Haxby wrote:

> >The thing here is.. It's _fast_. I only have a dial-up at home and it's
> >sloooooowww. Painfully slow... If there is a way I can secure/tunnel the
> >connection to yahoo, that would be great.
> >

> WEP is not brilliant, but it's a lot better than WPA (which it
> replaced).   The main problem with WEP is that it is tarred with the
> same brush as WPA -- at least WEP has had some sort of security review.

I think you've got this reversed.  WPA has been designed to replace WEP.

> The only problem you have is someone stealing your WiFi access
> authentication, after that you can use SSL/SSH to your heart's
> content.    If you're using an ISP for mail, you rarely (if ever) get
> encrypted access, ISPs simply aren't interested in that level of protection.

Actually, ISPs just aren't interested in the support nightmares that would
go hand in hand with having to repeatedly and constantly hold the hands of
the multitudes of users who would need to be restepped through the process
of resetting encryption, etc, every time they needed to reinstall Windows.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit
message to:

site-update-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

with a message of:

subscribe