Re: WiFi + web based Login + Sniffer + Security

Ow Mun Heng wrote:

I would hardly do anything WIFI unless it was encrypted. And I don't
mean ROT13 encrypted, I mean SSL or so. But then, I'm paranoid!

The thing here is.. It's _fast_. I only have a dial-up at home and it's
sloooooowww. Painfully slow... If there is a way I can secure/tunnel the
connection to yahoo, that would be great.

WEP is not brilliant, but it's a lot better than WPA (which it replaced). The main problem with WEP is that it is tarred with the same brush as WPA -- at least WEP has had some sort of security review.

The only problem you have is someone stealing your WiFi access authentication, after that you can use SSL/SSH to your heart's content. If you're using an ISP for mail, you rarely (if ever) get encrypted access, ISPs simply aren't interested in that level of protection.

Rather than being paranoid, you need to identify the threats that you are trying to counter. Once you've done that work out how someone can attack the things you are worried about and then decide if the protection you have is enough. Something people seem to miss out a lot is the possibility of some disgruntled employee of an ISP deciding to read e-mail (it hardly counts as hacking when you have what amounts to root access).

jch