Re: Sendmail configuration

You need to get a valid domain name configured for your system.  Other
MTAs will reject messages from your system unless they can lookup your
system in DNS.  If you don't have a static public IP address there are
several services out there that can be used that will monitor the
dynamic IP address assigned by your ISP and make the change in DNS when
your IP changes.

The other alternative, which I use, is to setup sendmail to point to my
ISPs SMTP servers as smarter hosts.  In effect I relay my email through
their servers which are in the DNS correctly.  You have to play around
with genricsdomain and genericstable.

Relevant lines from the sendmail.mc file.  In effect outgoing email has
its from lines rewritten with the email address of my ISP account.  Info
in the genericstable and genericsdomain tell it what addresses to
rewrite and what to change them to.

dnl added to rewrite from addresses
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)
FEATURE(genericstable, `hash -o /etc/mail/genericstable')
GENERICS_DOMAIN_FILE(`/etc/mail/genericsdomain')
dnl Uncomment and edit the following line if your mail needs to be sent
out
dnl through an external mail server:
define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp-server.cfl.rr.com')