Re: Harddrive Question

From: "Mike Watson" <mikew@xxxxxxxxxx>

> > Fdisk reports:
> >
> > Disk /dev/hdc1: 203.9 GB, 203921109504 bytes
> >

> > But I don't remember where my partitions where... :-/
> >

> > Anyone know of anything?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> > Jake McHenry

> Use the 'p' command in fdisk to show the partitions or the "print"
> command in parted.

"fdisk -l /dev/hdc" is much safer run from the command prompt.
That way you never enter fdisk in interactive mode so you are
sure no changes will be made.

If fdisk -l returns no partitions then he's toast. Recovery will be
a very long painful process. With the basic partition tables wiped
out there is a good chance the rest of the data was wiped out. But
if not he'll have a several day job finding various root inodes and
trying to figure out what they mean about the disk's proper partitioning.

I hope he had no critical data on that drive if his partition table
is blown.

{^_^}   <- always prints out a run of "fdisk -l" for each drive.
        But then, some call me paranoid. I call my self "too many
        of 'those' tee-shirts, don't need anymore."