Re: Mail Server without domain name

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003, David Smith  wrote:

> Hello List
>
> I want to learn how to set up a complete mail server.
>
> So I started trying to setup the smtp and pop3 services and I found it easy at first.
>
> The real question is:  Can I have a mail server even if I don't have a domain name??
>
> I started trying to retrive mail using a pop3 client installed in my machine and everything ok.
>
> Then I did the same but from a client like eudora or outlook in a computer (pop3) somewhere in internet and I
> used as pop3 server name my IP address and it worked.
>
> After what I tried to send mail to accounts in other servers and It didn't worked.
>
> I really at last, install IMP  the  Horde IMAP Client as a web interface and also let my users use the SMTP and
> POP3 services..
>
> I've found many tutorials, manual and guides on configuring a mail server on linux and especially in redhat9,
> my distribution, but all of them are based on domain names and I don't have one.
>
> I've tried follow these tutorial "replacing" every domain ocurrence for my IP address but it didn't work.
>
> Is it possible to configure everything nedded without a domain name ?

Yes...just give your system a name (fictitious is ok), arbitrarily.  The
mailserver will need to have some sort of domain name, even if it's not
necessarily valid to the rest of the world.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit
message to:

site-update-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

with a message of:

subscribe