Re: Harddrive Question

Let me see if I understand this.

1. You have a new, or anyhow a new-er computer. You put a new hard drive in this computer.

2. You installed Red Hat 9 on the new hard drive.

3. You copied the hard drive from your old machine onto a 200 Gb backup drive.

4. You removed the hard drive from your old machine and installed it in your new machine.

5. Your goal is now to copy the contents of the old hard drive to the new hard drive which has Red Hat 9 on it. But, you don't know how.

Am I correct?

If i am right, the solution is fairly straightforward but it takes careful study and even some practice to carry it out correctly. I am assuming you did not overwrite your old drive by accident and you are protecting it from being overwritten. Here is what you do:

1. Visit http://www.tldp.org/ (The Linux Documentation Project)
2. Locate the Hard Drive Upgrade How-To.
3. Print the How-To and study it. It tells you how to copy an entire Linux system from one hard drive to another.
4. Practice following the instructions. Remember that you want an ext3 file system, which is the default on Red Hat 9, but if you are adventurous and are ready to overcome some technical issues with the initrd image, you can have JFS, ReiserFS, or whatever other file system strikes your fancy. Just be prepared to provide all support for your choice.

5. And now for my disclaimer: if something goes wrong with this procedure, don't blame me. You assume all risk for your actions. So use your own best judgment.

Good luck!

Bob

Jake McHenry wrote:
I just installed a new harddrive a new machine and installed RH9. I
backed up everything from my other machine onto a 200gb harddrive, and
put it into the new machine to copy the files from.

My problem is that I forgot where my partitions are located at for
/etc/fstab.

Is there any magic way to re-generate this file to auto find my
partitions?

Thanks,
Jake

-- Bob Cochran Greenbelt, Maryland, USA http://greenbeltcomputer.biz/