ssh-agent not working correctly

Hello all,

I have just installed rh9 and all patches on a IBM x235 with two xeons running
the i686 kernel 2.4.20-8bigmem.  I have the following ssh packages installed
on my system

openssh-3.5p1-11
openssh-clients-3.5p1-11
openssh-server-3.5p1-11

I am running a process from cron that tars up the local box and sends the
result over ssh to a backup box.  Therefore I require passwordless key based
authentication.  I have created a rsa key and copied my public key to another
box.  I am able to login to the local box and ssh to the other box without
being asked for a password, so I know this part of the process works.  Where
the process falls down is when I run this from cron.  I have to use ssh-agent
in order to run the script. I do exactly the same process on a number of
other boxes, so my problem seems to be specifically with this new rh9 build
(the only rh9 box we have in production).

The following shows the problem with ssh-agent.

[backup@Copper mason]$ ssh-agent
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-XXbgea1j/agent.28462; export SSH_AUTH_SOCK;
SSH_AGENT_PID=28463; export SSH_AGENT_PID;
echo Agent pid 28463;

[backup@Copper mason]$ cat /tmp/ssh-XXbgea1j/agent.28462
cat: /tmp/ssh-XXbgea1j/agent.28462: No such device or address

[backup@Copper mason]$ echo $SSH_AUTH_SOCK
/tmp/ssh-XXq0UhV0/agent.28400

[backup@Copper mason]$ cat /tmp/ssh-XXq0UhV0/agent.28400
cat: /tmp/ssh-XXq0UhV0/agent.28400: No such file or directory

[backup@Copper mason]$ echo $SSH_AGENT_PID

[backup@Copper mason]$

Notice that the value that $SSH_AUTH_SOCK gives does not match what ssh-agent
says it is spitting out.  As well, the last line showing "echo
$SSH_AGENT_PID" returns nothing.  Of course running ssh-add afterwards
returns

Could not open a connection to your authentication agent.

I don't get this one.  Anyone on this list have any ideas or a suggestion for
another list to post this question to?

--
Mason Schmitt