Re: Keyboard and screen "dies" (summary)

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 11:40, I wrote:
Every once in a while (...) my
keyboard and screen "dies". Usually, I will arrive at my office to find
the screen blank, and the keyboard unresponsive (no reaction to num-lock
etc.). The machine doesn't crash, however (...)

> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Klaasjan Brand replied:
Got about the same problem on a p4 with the binary nVidia drivers
installed. Downgrading to the slower Xfree drivers fixed it.

Mark Hittinger then opined:
After the 2.4.18-27.8.0 kernel you might need to disable "dri" in the XF86Config file on some Linux boxes.

And, finally, (or maybe a little earlier) Matthew Saltzman wrote:
The problem seems to be related to the GLX-enabled screen savers and at
least the nVidia binary drivers.  ( ...)
You can disable GLX screensavers or select a safe screensaver and turn the
rest off, or just blank the screen.  No need to downgrade drivers.

The last tip fixed it for me. I've reverted to just blanking the screen (too lazy to research which screensavers use GLX), and the problem hasn't surfaced since. Btw, if anyone is still interested, my graphics card is a Matrox Millenium G550.

Thanks to everyone who replied!

MGJ