Re: How to know when to reboot the server

Once upon a time, netopml@xxxxxxxxxxx said:
> I've got a box (an internal dns server that sees almost no traffic anymore)
> that was booted in Dec 8 2001 at 11:20:22 (guess we forgot about it)... It
> runs 7.1 and sadly, the only way to tell when it was last booted is to look
> at the log files: the uptime command returns garbage (because of the
> rollover of the counter) and ps ditto...

For most versions of Red Hat Linux, you can look at the timestamp of
/var/log/dmesg to get an approximate boot-up timestamp.  It is written
during bootup and never touched again.

I have one general purpose server (read: we dump random things on it,
including mailing lists, MySQL databases, and more) that was up from the
time I installed RHL 6.1 on it (booted the install CD and then rebooted
into the running OS) on Nov 30 1999 at 12:18:11 until we moved our NOC
on Aug 02 2003 at 21:39:38, for an uptime of 1341 days, 09:21:27.  It
was the longest running piece of equipment in our whole network except
for the UPS it was connected to (even the switch is is connected to had
been rebooted at some point).

It just goes to show what putting reliable software on reliable hardware
can do.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>