Re: e-mail etiquette

Brian T. Brunner wrote:

Thanks for the RFC link.

Unfortunately it's all in /permissive/ tones e.g.
"This memo does not specify an Internett standard of any kind."

All RFCs start with a phrase along these lines. A RFC is one of informational, draft standard, proposed standard, standard and one other, I think, that I can't remember off hand. There's a RFCs that describes the standardisation process. The netiquette RFC is necessarily informational since polite human behaviour would be rather hard to enforce :-)

and
"This document provides a minimum set of guidelines for Network
Etiquette (Netiquette) which organizations may take and adapt for
their own use."
rather than in standards tones,

It's not a standard, it's guidelines based on what has worked well and written down for people to read rather than going through the arguments, turmoil and bloodshed to get to the same or similar enlightened state.

so Novell GroupWise confirms this RFC by ignoring it.

Well, you can argue that you can't conform to a standard that isn't a standard. Really, the problem lies with GroupWise that doesn't offer a good way to quote replies. Alas, it's not alone. Outlook, for example, just puts "-- Original Message --" and then the whole original message which basically enforces top-posting. I think Outlook does at least have the grace to offer alternative ways of formatting the reply template, though it's been quite a while since I used it. As a user of GroupWise, you might be in a good position to put in an enhancement request to make it easier to reply to messages.

On the other hand, if you're prepared to invest a little effort you can bring the power of Unix to bear. At one time I had a TCL script that converted the selection to a properly cited message which I could then paste into what I was replying to. Don't forget that Unix (and Linux) is like lego -- you can build up new things from what you have available.

jch