Re: e-mail etiquette

Thanks for the RFC link.

Unfortunately it's all in /permissive/ tones e.g.
"This memo does not specify an Internet standard of any kind."
and
"This document provides a minimum set of guidelines for Network
   Etiquette (Netiquette) which organizations may take and adapt for
   their own use."
rather than in standards tones,

so Novell GroupWise confirms this RFC by ignoring it.

*sigh*.

Brian Brunner
brian.t.brunner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(610)796-5838

>>> jkinz@xxxxxxxx 10/04/03 11:12PM >>>

Its been documented many many times.  Here is one official document
which does a fair job at codifying the standard practices: RFC 1855
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html

See section 3 on "One To Many Communication".  That should cover what
your looking for.

Another which covers proper behavior in email lists is
    "The Unofficial RedHat Install List User's Guide"

Available at:
http://www.rhil.org/docs/rhil-guide.html

> For example:  http://learn.to/quote  (click on "English")
>
> The average "Netiquette guidelines" cover proper quoting and replying.
> Lack of netiquette is an increasing problem not just on these lists.

Yup.

> Michael, who doesn't reply to top posts and complete quotes anymore.
I haven't reached that point yet... .   .     .        .            .

--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  jkinz@xxxxxxxx
copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

www.hubbell.com - Hubbell Incorporated