Re: Linuxconf Trashed RH9 Boot - Fix?

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 05:43:08PM -0400, Colburn wrote:
> Like a dummy I tinkered with the boot sequence using Linuxconf (hoping
> to fix the problem with the failure to access the second hdd) and now
> cannot figure out how to repair the damage (I have disconnected the new
> hdd with RH9 and am back booting from the RH8 hdd).  I have tried Rescue
> from the floppy and from the KRUD CD to no avail -- I always end up at a
> command prompt.
>
> The problem is that while booting it insists upon looking for a ext2
> filesystem type instead of the correct ext3, and of course, it fails.
>
> The error reads "The superblock could not be read or does not describe a
> correct ext2 filesystem"  Then it suggests running e2fsck -b 8193
> <DEVICE>
>
> I tried several different devices, e.g. hda, hda1, etc. to no avail.  i
> think the key problem is that Linuxconf changed something to insist upon
> requiring ext2 when ext3 is the correct default.
>
> fsck -ANVt ext3 shows:
> [/sbin/fsck.ext3 (1) -- /hdb] fsck.ext3 /dev/hda2
> [/sbin/fsck.ext3 (1) -- /boot] fsck.ext3 /dev/hda1
>
> MOUNT:
> /dev/hda2 on 1 type ext3 (rw) none on /proc type proc (rw)
>
> grubedit>kernel /vmlinux-2.4.20-20.9 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
>
> Help, please?
I hope the filesystem is identified as ext3 in the  fstab. If you can
boot the system in some way that the misidentified file is not mounted
you can use tune2fs to find out if it has a journal. If it does then
use tune2fs to turn it temporarily into a ext2 filesystem. Boot into
RH9 and see what is going on. Check things on the filesystem and in
the fstab  and slowly get things back into a condition where using the
rescue disk you can change it back into ext3.

I know this all sounds like magic but today a Quicken technician fixed
a file by getting me to change its name twice. So anything is possible.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
715 Stadium Dr.