Re: Redhat_9 Question

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 08:38:46PM +0530, vishal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Is it so difficult to answer my question????
>
> Sadly this was my first post to the list.
>
> Thanks,
> Vishal.
>

> > Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening,
> >
> > I am a newbie to Redhat 9, but do have a sound knowledge of  7.x as we are
> > in webhosting services which has got Redhat7.x servers. Now are are
> Planning
> > to move on to Redhat 9 and , but I'd like to have a plan in place to
> > complete the move as quickly as possible
> >
> > Here is the deal :
> > I am current running a server which is a Redhat 7.3 Box and I have setup
> the
> > follwoing modules on the server which are running extremely well.
> >
> > qmail-1.03
> > mailman-2.2.x
> > imagemagick
> > awstats - 5.5
> > sqwebmail
> > qmailadmin 1.0.20
> > vpopmail 5.3.20
> >
> > I would like to reproduce the same setup on the Redhat 9.0 box and also
> > would like to know if i should coninue with the same versions or are there
> > any new versions available for Redhat 9 and are they available on the
> > respected sites or to some other locations.
> >
> > Please comment :)
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Vishal
Ok the most straightforward possibility is to choose the upgrade
option when installing RH 9. If the programs you indicate are part
of the RH 9 distribution they will be upgraded if they are not they
will be left alone. But first I would copy any rpms and  /or tarballs
you used to install the above programs on to another machine or
back them up in some way.

Now once you have RH 9 up and running then you can use the program
up2date to update them to the latest release (again if they are
RedHat distributed programs.

Now for a disadvantage if RH 9 has (and it does) facilities that do
not appear in RH 7.3 these will not be installed or upgraded and
you will have to get them and install them a different way. Someone
will correct me if I am wrong about that.

The alternative is to do a straight install of RH 9 and add any
software that is not on the CD-s as a separate step from the rpms or
tar balls you saved. Of the programs you listed only mailman and
imagemagic are on the redhat 9 distribution, so I think the full
install option is better for your case.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University