Re: SSH and remote X11?

Jurgen Kramer wrote:

Hi,

I finally have TV out working on my VIA EPIA. I use the EPIA
as a multimedia server. When I login to it via ssh the display is
redirected to my own PC. What I want is that I'm able to login to the
EPIA and start X apps which display on the display of the EPIA and not
on my own PC. When I fiddle around with DISPLAY settings I only get
xauth failures:

Xlib: connection to "paradox:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

Error: Can't open display: paradox:0.0 (EPIA == paradox)

How can I fix this? I am not very familiar with all that xauth stuff.
The old xhost trick don't work anymore.

It's difficult to say exactly what's going on. First, I assume you're also logged into the console of the EPIA box. If you're not then that's the problem. Run "xauth -v list" and check that the authority file is ~/.Xauthority and that something resembling the localhost is connected.

When you're logged in to paradox then setting DISPLAY to ":0.0" is enough -- that's shorthand for "use the most efficient local transport".

Once you've got local display working, then you can display on paradox's screen from your other PC by doing this on your other machine

ssh paradox /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth nlist paradox:0 | xauth nmerge -

You'll then be able to use the DISPLAY=paradox:0 from your other machine. This is documented in the xauth man page. (Well, it was last time I looked, but I think it must be getting on for ten years ago now :-)

jch