RE: File Server irritants (newbie)

Buck

-----Original Message-----
From: shrike-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:shrike-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Ow Mun Heng
Sent: Sunday, September 28, 2003 10:25 PM
To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: File Server irritants (newbie)

>>1)	Prevent users from logging in at the keyboard of the server.

>Keep the server under lock and key.. :) There might be other
alternative but as far as I go. I go with LOCK.

As soon as I setup a second Linux box, I'll start learning sash and set
the server up to work without a keyboard, mouse or monitor.  After that
I can store my server under my desktop and my Linux workstation/test
machine on the desk.  Any stray that doesn't crawl under the desk would
never know it was there.

As for the business server, I am thinking of building a fan-vented
cabinet to lock it in.

In Windows, I can restrict users from accessing the computer locally,
but I can't use it without keyboard, mouse and monitor. LOL

>>2)	Each user's private directory has Linux OS (I guess) related

>Create a Shell script to transverse through all the directories and
delete those files!! OR... look into /etc/.skel  This >is where _all_
the files in user directories will be copied from.

I am only dealing with about a maximum of 15 users on two networks.  I
can delete the files as I add the users.  After the initial setup, I'll
just add one user about once or twice a year.  No big problem.  It isn't
a problem to just delete them.

>>3) 	Somewhere in the mix I setup a public directory.  Users have

>What exactly do you want here? I don't understand.

Something in Samba... I commented out the section and eliminated it.

>>4)	I have a folder and account setup called pcguest.  "bad-user"
>>defaults to that folder but has not access in it.

Samba has a "bad-user". This is the default (i think) for  the below
reasons

<snip>
# If you want users samba doesn't recognize to be mapped to a guest user
map to guest = bad user <snip>

This means that for users that are not authenticated in your server
(meaning, their username/pass combo is not in Linux's Passwd/smbpasswd
file then they will only have read access (if you grant it to them)

>>5)	What am I not thinking of?
>In my setup, I have a share folder made especially for users to share
files across the lan. Everyone can have write/read
>access. It's like the /tmp folder in Linux. This seems to be the most
popular folder.

Yes, I thought of that too.  I created a group called "employees" which
has an "employees" folder.  This is shared by all users in case they
need or want to share.

I am weighing the idea of creating a cross-corporate folder, but I have
one user, the owner of the business, likes to hang out at KAZAA and
other areas that reduce security.  I decided to get a separate cable
router and server for each network to share the same cable-modem.  I am
considering adding a Ethernet card to my workstation so I have direct
access to both networks at the same time.

Thank you for your response.

Buck