Re: Choosing a machine to make a small server

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 mandalay@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I want to run a small http (with PHP, MySQL) and ftp server at home, on
> a red hat 9. In addition of handling around 1000 visits/day on the http
> server, exchange video and music files on the ftp, I want a machine very
> reliable which doesn't make too much noise and as small as possible.
> Does anybody knows any machine which could satisfy these requirements ?
> How do admin choose a machine when they have traffic requirements ?

I think you would be good at looking at a Via C3 CPU Mini-Itx system from
http://www.mini-itx.com. I've got one here (running Windows as well) and
its been up for about 50 days. So Linux should have no problems

Also it is all passivly cooled rather than fan. The only noise is from the
small PSU and the hard disk. Everything such as Lan is intergrated onto
the MB

HTH

Rus
--