Google
  Web www.spinics.net

Re: Kickstart & Disk Image: was The end of RHL for private use?

Buck wrote:

> I have been toying around with Kickstart.  I will do more serious
> experimenting with it when I learn how to set the file server up
> properly.  What I have seen does help.  I hope that when I create one
> it will at least mostly work for newer releases as well.  That will
> make it most valuable.

Kickstart works with the CDs as well. Just keep floppies with your
kickstart file at hand.

> I use Ghost on my Windows systems but I have Drive Image 4.0 as well.
> It might pick up the Linux partitions if Ghost doesn't.  Whether or
> not Ghost and Drive Image work, I plan to learn how to use the backup
> utility to assist in quick setups and to protect systems.  There is
> nothing more embarrassing than  telling the boss his backup failed.

I must admit that I'm really old-fashioned with backups (I'm with Unix
for nearly 20 years I think), I just use tar.

> What is DD?

dd does raw disk writes/reads. You can use it for filesystem images like
writing boot floppies. On a Unix or Linux system, type
man dd
and learn. ;-)) `man commandname` will give you the man page for that
command, and `man -k keyword` helps you find the command which does what
you need.

> You said no trouble with the SID.  I know SID is in Windows, are you
> saying it isn't in Linux or that the config corrects it.

There is no SID or similar stuff in Unix. The machine is identified by
hostname and IP-address, nothing else.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/