Re: RedHat, Fedora, and the Future of Life as We Know it [*SP* 46%]

Jesse Keating wrote:

On Friday 26 September 2003 10:37, Andre Cameron wrote:

I have no desire to do it, I was just wondering if it is possible.
And it is, what about those hammer heads that sell *nix CD's on
eBay? All I really care about is can I download and use RHEL without
paying $170.00? I'll give em $30 but thats it ;)

And are you going to go through the effort to rebuild all the errata .src.rpms? You don't have access to binary updates unless you pay for RHEN.

You have to ask yourself, are you feeling lucky, punk? Oops. Sorry wrong thread.

Seriously you have to ask yourself if $170 (or whatever it is) is a fair price for the effort of building the RPMs and tracking (and building) the errata RPMs. Current sysadmin contract rates in the UK are around £250-£300 pounds a day, I think. That means that if it takes a sysadmin more than half a day or so (over a whole year), then $170 is good value for money.

If you're talking about home use then you have to add into the balance whether you have $170 (or whatever it is) disposable cash and whether you wouldn't prefer the challenge and excitement of building your own RHEL distribution.

Do the sums, make your choice.

Back to the main feature ... was that five bullets or six?

jch