Re: The end of RHL for private use? [was: Fedora vs. RHL]

>> I can only hope that Red Hat realizes they'll lose a lot of loyal
>> long-term customers. If they proceed, they will lose me, and most
>> probably my company as well.
>
> Not only do they lose the customer base, but the customers of those
> customers. I have many customers I regularly do work for on there
> redhat servers and desktops. Office firewalls, installing Star Office
> etc, those customers will be changed over to whatever *nix distribution
> I choose to go with.
>
> Kevin

I'm having a little trouble with this thread...

First, the subject is "the end of RHL for private use".  However, you're
talking about losing customers and customer visability.  That doesn't seem
to have anything to do with private use.

Second, I missed most of the rest of the thread so maybe it was already
mentioned but are these customers actually paying for RHL?  I've been
getting the impression that most just download the ISO's and burn the
CD's.  My point is that these may be your customers but have they ever
been Redhat's???  Has Redhat seen a revenue stream from any of them?

If I understand Redhat's argument correctly they have been spending $$$
producing a product that they have been providing for free.  Even if
customers actually paid for a boxed set the price was barely enough to
cover costs.  I assume that was to gain market share and brand
recognition.  They have decided this is no longer necessary and will
concentrate on their corporate customers where they can make a profit.

Is this correct?

Gerry