A little help please :) Sendmail/RH9/LDAP

We have a Netscape LDAP server here and I am setting up a RH9 box to scan emails for antivirus then push it off to the right mail server. What I need to do is also send mail from this scanning box and therefore need to setup sendmail/RH box to authenticate against the LDAP directory not the local PAM.

I have the server up, sendmail installed and the scanning and forwarding works fine. However I can not send mail from the box because I get a relay denied error which indicates the mail client is not authenticating. Soooo any one have any idea what I missed? When I setup the box I told it to use LDAP authentication, how do I verify it is?