Re: OpenSSH 3.7

Emmanuel Seyman wrote:

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 07:44:00AM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:

What exactly is "this"?

Brian specified a common config directory for Solaris and Linux.
I presume "this" refers to backporting patches to older releases
(what Red Hat has done) rather than releasing a openssh-3.7 rpm .

Which of course is the right thing to do -- it means that the rest of us can install the patch without having to worry about fixing up config files to cope with new features etc.

As you say -- you have a choice. Stick with Red Hat's RPMs and keep the original version with back-ported fixes, or keep up to date with openssh releases. If you run ssh on several platforms, this may be the best way to go for you.

Incidentally, it strikes me as something of a security nightmare sharing ssh config files using NFS. If someone breaks into one machine he (or she) can modify the configuration to allow them access to any other machine. Surely it would be better to distribute config files with rsync from a single master copy?

jch (I wouldn't be paranoid if they weren't out to get me)