Re: RH AS2.1 Statically linked application gives reloc error in RH9.0

Once upon a time, John Haxby <jch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> Incidentally, did you know that if you are linking statically against
> glibc (and libstdc) that your application is necessarily covered by the
> LGPL or the GPL?   I accidentally fell foul of this a while ago which is
> how I found out (I think it was someone at Red Hat that spotted it.

First of all, your code doesn't fall under the GPL or LGPL if you don't
distribute anything (source or binaries).  The GPL and LGPL only govern
distribution.

If you statically link against a library under the LGPL (like libc), you
must provide object code so someone can re-link against a different
version (which doesn't always work out in practice as the headers change
also from libc version to libc version sometimes).  Otherwise, your code
falls under the LGPL as well and you must provide source.

If you link (statically or dynamically) against a library under the GPL
(like libstdc++, which IIRC gets linked automatically when you use g++),
your code falls under the GPL and you must provide source.

If you think you might ever distribute something you are writing, you
should always check the licenses of every library you use, as there are
some libraries that come with most Linux and *BSD distributions that are
under the GPL, some under the LGPL, and some that have their own
licenses.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>