Re: RH AS2.1 Statically linked application gives reloc error in RH9.0

Muthu_T@xxxxxxxx wrote:

All,

I have a statically linked application which dynamically loads the
library. This application compiled in AS2.1 and runs fine with AS2.1 and
RH 8.0. But in RH 9.0 it gives relocation error.

It's C++ isn't it? There was something in the release notes about errors of this nature with C++. Basically, the standard libraries that libz (the library you are loading) uses and the standard libraries that your program is linked with are incompatible.

Incidentally, did you know that if you are linking statically against glibc (and libstdc) that your application is necessarily covered by the LGPL or the GPL? I accidentally fell foul of this a while ago which is how I found out (I think it was someone at Red Hat that spotted it.

Unless you have very good reasons (and you'll know what they are if you do), don't link the standard libraries statically (Jamie Zawinski would, at least at one time, have taken issue with that statement!)

jch