acpi

What I did to get ACPI working on my Inspiron 5100 (A22)
with redhat 9 without re-compiling my kernel was:

To download and in stall the new kernel 2.4.22 using
the RPMS available at http://rawhide.redhat.com/

Then when rebooting I used the acpi=on as a parameter before
grub loads the system.

By then, I was able to see /proc/acpi files, but
the battery monitor available at the gnome panel was
not yet working (it crashed everytime i tried to load it).

Finally, I installed ACPI watch (acpiw) available at
ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/listings/0225-234.tgz
just to use the "acpi_on" script which loads all necesary
kernel modules.

Then, I added the battery monitor to the gnome panel,
and it worked fine.

If you do it this way you do not have to re-compile the
kernel or anything, you save time and the risk of
having an unstable system (if you do not know hot to
properly tweak your kernel).

javier wilson

pd. you can download the A22 bios update from www.dell.com
and copy the file to a disk or burn the iso image to a
CD usgin cdrecord and reboot.