Re: Looking for a good incremental backup to a filesystem.

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:13:32AM -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> Found this on the web, looks fantastic as well as simple (have not had the
> time to try it yet, please post results if you do):
>
> http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

I tried a variation on it some time ago. I modified it to have hourly
backups for the las 24 hours, daily backups for the last week, weekly
backups for the last month and monthly backups for the last year. For my
purposes, anything that was deleted and not needed for more than a year
can be considered effectively dead. It works pretty well, but you will
want to add some exclusion mechanism or it will start growing your
backups infinitely with browser cache files and such.

Cheers,
--
Javier Gostling D.
<jgd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>