Re: Installing a Rawhide kernel

On Sat, 2003-09-06 at 12:06, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> if you're feeling bored, why not just try upgrading to the latest
> version of the 2.6.0-test kernel?  lots of folks have done it, with
> great success.

I'll certainly consider that as an option, but I'm not doing this
because I'm bored but because I have a genuine problem that I need a
solution for (I can't access my Firewire drive). Whilst I'm very tempted
to try out the 2.6 kernel it involves upgrading a number of ancillary
packages which might make booting a 2.4 kernel difficult (should the 2.6
kernel cause problems), and I have no idea if I'll be able to compile
Nvidia and VMware kernel modules for 2.6 (and I need both of those in
order to use this machine for work).

At the moment I can't help feeling that trying out a Rawhide kernel
might be a safer option.

Best, Darren