Re: Whats my architecture?

i386 refers to the old 386 processors.  All current Intel/Athlon
compatible processors will work with i386 compiled binaries.

i586 refers to Intel's Pentium chips.

i686 refers to Intel's Pentium Pro, Pentium II, Pentium III and Pentium IV
chips.

AMD's K6 processors can fall under the 586 or, sometimes, the 686 spec.

AMD's Athlon, Duron, Thunderbird and all current 32 bit processors fall
under Athlon.

If your system is running a PII, PIII or PIV, you can download and install
the i686 kernel.  You can find this out by looking at the specs for your
laptop (the thing will usually list the brand/model of the processor
somewhere near the keyboard, on the box in which it came, the paperwork
which came with the laptop, the manufacturer's web site).

You can also "cat /proc/cpuinfo" to get the processor information.

Or, you can just use the up2date/Red Hat Network tool, which will download
and install the correct kernel for your processor.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, send a message to:

site-update-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

with a message of:

subscribe