RH9 / RH6.2 transition question

I have a server running RH6.2 with two 9GB HD's /dev/sda holds / and /boot /dev/sdb holds swap and a data area

I plan to replace one of the 9GB drives with a 36GB HD and upgrade
the system to RH9.

I'll be saving data off /dev/sdb, changing it's SCSI target addr,
repartitioning it and installing RH9 onto it, making it /dev/sda
and the new boot drive.  The 36GB drive will become /dev/sdb,
partitioned for the swap and data partitions.

If problems crop up under the RH9 system, I'd like to be able
to switch back to RH6.2 to restore server functionality by
reinstalling the old 9GB RH6.2 root drive as /dev/sda and
continuing to use the new 36GB drive as /dev/sdb.

Can the swap area and the data partition (created with 'mke2fs -j'
under RH9) on the 36GB HD operate with the older RH6.2 root drive
if I need to backpedal to restore stability?

My guess is that the swap partition would not be a problem, but
can a RH9 ext3 partition function as a RH6.2 ext2 partition as
a short-term solution, or has ext2 under RH9 lost backwards
compatibility?

Doug Wyatt