Re: LPR Printing Software for Windows

--- Margaret_Doll <Margaret_Doll@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I do have samba, samba-common, samba-client all installed.
I can connect from Windows to the samba server and see the shares.
I can also print from the Windows computers through the server, but
not using the LPR queues.

Margaret,
There are probably several ways of doing this. You have CUPS installed which basically provides support for IPP, I think. I enabled the LPD protocol by running printconf-gui and then on the Action/Sharing... menu entry, I checked the "enable LPD" box, clicked OK and then clicked the Apply button in the main window.

I looks as though this simply does a "chkconfig cups-lpd on" which enables the cups-lpd service in xinetd, so you can edit /etc/xinetd.d/cups-lpd as well.

I agree with you that using the LPR queues from Windows servers is better -- I did that at home and printing seems to be much snappier. I don't think it's that samba is inefficient, but printing from Windows with LPR does seem to be rather more efficient there.

jch