Re: vnc and firewalls

William Hooper wrote:
Gerry Tool said:

I recently tried to connect to a friend's RHL8.0 system from my RHL9
system using vnc.  Everything seemed to work to the point of me having a
window open which I expected to show his remote desktop.  However, all I
could see was the old basketweave background and X cursor.

Why do I just get a grey desktop in my Unix VNC Server?
http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html#grey

You need to edit the xstartup file and/or check the VNC log for errors
starting your WM.

I suspect that there is a firewall setting (both systems are set with
the default firewall choice) that prevented me from seeing his desktop.

The firewall isn't the issue.

Also, by default you won't be seeing "his" desktop.  For that you need to
check out either the new VNC beta (which is in Rawhide), or
http://xf4vnc.sourceforge.net/.

Thanks for the replies, William and Scot. That will probably solve my problem. I expected a desktop view from using vnc to look at windows boxes from my linux box previously.

Gerry