Boot error "INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast:"

I'm running RH9 (2.4.20-8) on an AMD 2400XP with 1GB RAM.

Today I updated to the latest up2date (yes, that's another topic!), and caught
up with some packages, including gdm-2.4.1.3-5.1.i386.rpm and the latest
cdrecord. I tried blanking a CD-RW disk in a terminal window in X (this always
worked fine before), and cdrecord hung on me, and I was unable to kill the
process. In the end I tried logging out. The system wouldn't shut down
normally, so I pressed the reset button.

Now I am unable to boot my system. Not even using the rescue boot diskette and
typing "Linux 1". This is from a normal boot:
(...)
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Red Hat nash version 3.4.42 starting
Journalled Block Device driver loaded
Mounting /proc filesystem
Creating block devices
Creating root device
Mounting root filesystem
kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
Freeing unused kernel memory: 128 freed
INIT: version 2.84 booting
INIT: Entering runlevel: 5
INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
  (Then after 5 minutes:)
INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

When I press CTRL+ALT+DEL I see:
shutdown: warning: cannot open /var/run/shutdown.pid

I googled the problem, and there were suggestions about inittab, but most of
the suggestions seemed to point at other problems. I tried using Tom's
rootboot, but he didn't allow enough /dev/hda dirs for my usage, so,I booted
from a Linux install CDROM and mounted my system as per the directions. The
last line of inittab reads:
x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon
There is an if statement in /etc/X11/prefdm that led me to look at
/etc/sysconfig/desktop to discover the single line:
DESKTOP="GNOME"

I had just upgraded my gdm. I can't figure out how to edit any files in rescue
mode, not that I know what files to edit. Any suggestions? TIA,

--Phillip Rose