Re: MSI KT3 Ultra ARU

And I agree with Jesse. The PDC20276 Promise RAID Controller actually comes in two versions: a "Lite" version that has only RAID functionality without the ATA functionality, and a full version that offers both RAID and ATA functionality. It is not quite obvious what version your motherboard has if you are an inexperienced buyer -- like I was with my first Asus board. I assume the MSI board you are talking about really does have the full version with Promise RAID/ATA functionality.

I have been using software RAID for just under a year now on a system I built myself. My board is a Gigabyte GA-8IHXP2 with the full Promise RAID chip. I just turned the chip based RAID off in favor of having 2 extra IDE connectors and implementing software RAID using drives plugged into them. I have not regretted that. It has all been transparent.

I just did add a third hard drive to this particular machine because I need to work in Windows 2000 as well. That has changed my RAID configuration, and I learned more about software RAID in the process. No regrets there. The change also affected my Grub bootloader configuration, and I'm still figuring out how to work through that -- Michael Young and a colleague of his posted a web page on this subject and I need to sit down and try out their suggestions.

But to make a long story short, don't bother with the Promise controller. Use software RAID.

Bob Cochran