compiling a new kernel

Ok, I have about 2 years experience with linux, but I have never compiled a new
kernel. ok, not completely true, but I have only compiled new kernels from the
kernel source that redhat distributes. I was wondering, what difficulties I
could have compiling the latest 2.4 kernel from kernel.org. Should I use the
same config file that the redhat source come with? or should I starts from
scratch? also, is the new kernel going to break anything? I wanted to compile
the 2.6 kernel but I'm afraid to do so. What do you all recomend me? Is there
anything in the web that I should read?

TIA

Rigo