Re: writing\executing from vfat partition

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Burger <mburger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 08:43:20AM -0500
To Shrike
Subject: Re: writing\executing from vfat partition

> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Vikram Goyal wrote:

See! My previous reply was a simple solution but it has many problems
with it, one of which you pointed out. Well a more complicated solution
is as follows:

1} Make a dir in the fat partition as root. Say fatusers
2} Add a group by some name, Say fatusers again.
3} Make a dir  /mnt/fatusers
4} Add the users who want to play on the fat as OP wants to the newly
   created group fatusers.
5} Edit fstab as shown below:
   /dev/hda7       /mnt/D: vfat    defaults,noauto,umask=002,gid=502 0 0

   Where gid is the gid of the group fatusers. It could be anything other
   than shown here.
6} Mount /mnt/D:
7} Now do: mount --bind /mnt/D:/fatusers /mnt/fatusers
8} unmount /mnt/D:

Now the users of group fatusers can create/execute/delete etc on
/mnt/fatusers. They can delete each others files also but can do nothing
to the files other than the files on /mnt/fatusers i.e the other files
on /mnt/D: are safe.

--
vikram...    <Vikram Goyal <viki@xxxxxxxxxx>>
--