Re: Kernel problem ?

Anoop Chandran said:

> could be  a HDD problem ... like bad sectors ..
>
>>From: "Cristian Tudose"
>>
>>Hi to all
>>
>>I recive this message in LogWatch. What can i do to correct this
>> problem ?

Most likely it is a HDD that does not fully support S.M.A.R.T.
logging (about half of mine are like that - the old ones)
To actually see the status of hdc you can do the following:
 smartctl -a /dev/hdc -d ata
(I'm running a recent smartmontools so the command options
could be a bit different - redhat 'smartctl' one is WAY old)
This command will most likely put the same 2 kernel errors up
on the console again.
Normally it is nothing to worry about - it seems that most
people don't understand S.M.A.R.T. and the related kernel
error it puts up.
I run this once a day in my daily check script so I can
compare each day - as well as smartd running normally
and other checks like badblocks and fsck once a day as well.
My servers are all very busy for an hour or two early every
morning before I get up :-)

--
-Cheers
-Andrew

MS ... if only he hadn't been hang gliding!