no smtp through squid

Hi there

behind my router (isdn) I have a clark box which acts as gateway/server.
Now I have setup a RH9a machine and placed it in the intranet behind the
clark box. In this RH9a machine are one fastethernet card (pci) and a
wireless card.

On certain occasions I wanted to access the Internet and the local net
with my Notebook using a wireless card. (normally I use the cable and
connect directly to the clark box, but I can not do this if I wanted to
drink a cool beer outside my office in the green of Switzerland... ;-) )

The RH9a machine is setup as proxy-server with squid of course. Now I
can access from my notebook:

(notebook) -> RH9a -> Clark -> Internet

BUT THERE IS ONLY HTTP, SSH TRANSFER. I am not able to send or receive
mails which means that now smpt goes through the RH9a Proxy.

Why?

Any help very much appreciated!

Ben