Re: NIC starts but won't save IP address

shane c branch (scbranch@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

>Brian Johnson wrote:
>
>> I have a machine that I normally access through ssh that I've been working on and
>> now when I reboot it or restart networking, the IP address (and default gateway
>> routing) doesn't initialize properly
>>
>> ifconfig shows eth0 without an IP address and if I do:
>>
>> ifconfig eth0 192.168.2.11
>> route add default gw 192.168.2.1
>>
>> eveything works!
>>
>> I've looked through the network scripts and ifcfg-eth0 file in
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and compared them to other systems I have and I can't
>> figure out what is idfferent on this machine that screws up my networking config
>>
>> Can anyone help?
>>

>also check /etc/sysconfig/networking/default/profiles there are scripts
>in there that might be conflicting with the ones in .../network-scripts
>
>--
>
>regards,
>
>shane

Thanks for the idea.

Found them in /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default on my other machines.  They
look like copies of the config files from elsewhere:

# ls default
hosts  ifcfg-eth0  ifcfg-eth1  network  resolv.conf

They were missing on my problem machine but creating them on my problem machine
doesn't seem to solve my problem

--
Brian Johnson
* This is where my witty signature line would be if I bothered to edit this line :) *